Friday, April 30, 2010

Location, Location, Location - Knit & Crochet Blog Week Day 5


Location, Location, Location

Where do you like to indulge in your craft? Is your favourite arm chair your little knitting cubby area, or do you prefer to ‘knit in public’? Do you like to crochet in the great outdoors, perhaps, or knit in the bath, or at the pub?


Well, I do like to knit in all of those places, (maybe barring the bath--I don't think I have those mad skillz) but once place stands above the rest. Behold:

Ahhhh. '70s style luxury.


The backstory: my grandpa (technically my dad's step-dad--but to me he was G-pa, a moniker that always tickled him pink) was known for making impulsive and sometimes inexplicable purchases. I loved the dude, but I will admit that his taste was questionable (read: tacky). He originally bought this chair as a gift for his mother. This chair, even by the standards of the time, is quite small. His mother was, as they say in polite conversation, a large woman. She didn't even begin to fit in the chair, so it went back to G-pa. Now G-pa wasn't a large man in the sense that I just used, but he was fairly tall. Hence, he never really fit in the chair either. It eventually went to my parents and sat hidden in their basement, mostly due to the color which could be described as '70s puke green.

Flash forward to my first 'real' job--an internship at DC Cook Nuclear Plant (I was the designated Homer Simpson of the operation). I needed to furnish an apartment, fast. My parents suggested the puke green recliner, since it separates into two pieces and is easily transportable.

There is is, tucked in the corner.

Let me tell you, I fell in love with the chair that summer. I'd just learn to knit, so when I wasn't knitting beside the apartment complex's ratty pool, I was parked in the recliner. It's followed me everywhere since. Perfect fit for a munchkin, and good for napping too, when knitting tuckers you out:

Puke green is back in style. No, I swear!



To find other participating blogs, search for knitcroblo5.

12 comments:

  1. I remember such chairs (I was a late-sixties baby). Looks fine and dandy to me! thanks for coming over to stitchingandknitting - good to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That chair is cooler than... than... George Clooney and Buddy Holly combined. I am (green) with envy! ;) I love your style of writing too.

    Linn :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure I have some yarn that colour....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore that chair! Function over form, darling, function over form :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the chair ... the color ... and your story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That chair looks so comfy. It looks like one that my Farfar has, but his is a gross blue. I think chairs like that are required to be bad colors.


    And to answer your question about my dorm room... I live in an upper classmen dorm which is one of the newest buildings on campus. My room as a freshmen was appropriately tiny, dated and had a weird smell.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That reminds me so much my grandfather's chair (my "Pop"). He passed away almost six years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That chair takes me back too far! But, I know it's comfy which is really important when knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the color(is that bad lol). Maybe its because I was born at the end of the 70's lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a fabulous knitting chair! I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Woo, boy that's a particular shade of green, isn't it? I remember it well!

    ReplyDelete