Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Knitting related news

A couple items of possible interest to my fellow knitters:

Apparently Katherine Heigl is starring in an HBO adaptation of the 2007 novel The Knitting Circle. I've never read it (I think my mom may have? Sounds like something she mentioned at some point. Yes, I listen when you talk, but it doesn't all make the cut to long term memory). I'm not sure if my interest in the subject matter negates my (possibly irrational) extreme dislike of K. Heigl. To my credit, she does usually sound like an enormous douche in interviews, but let's be real here - I think I just like to give celebrities elaborate back-stories that may or may not actually be true.

This next tidbit came to me by way of the radio show Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me! in their Listener Limerick Challenge:

Knitting Fates, to me, sounded like bull.
Yet, like them, I now have my hands full.
As I'm ending my years, my sheep meet the shears.
And I'm knitting a coffin of?

Photo from the Toronto Star.

Wool! Apparently a UK company is pitching the concept as environmentally friendly, I feel that it just looks comfortable. It would take a pretty long time to make your own though, and then you'd need an industrial sized washer to felt it. If you're really dedicated, I'm sure your boss or mother-and-law would would love one.

8 comments:

  1. To my credit, she does usually sound like an enormous douche in interviews, but let's be real here - I think I just like to give celebrities elaborate back-stories that may or may not actually be true.

    I do the same. There are a lot of celebrities that I dislike because of imaginary disagreements we've had. There are also a ton of celebs that I can imagine we'd be be very good friends. For example, Liv Tyler is my best friend whereas Kristin Stewart is just an annoying Debbie Downer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me is one of my faves! I'm not sure about a wool coffin, though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL I remember Katharine Heigl when she was in that alien series Roswell High. My pet yuk celebrity is J-Lo. Jenny from the block: my foot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've actually read "The Knitting Circle" and kinda wish we had HBO so that I could see it.

    I know that there are celebrities that I find extremely annoying. Of course, none come to mind right now. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, too, loved last week's Limerick Challenge. Of course I got it, although had no idea about the actual coffin (thanks for that visual). :)

    Since funeral services are regulated in this country by the FTC, does that mean that poor, poor wool will now come under their auspices? Gah!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I missed the limerick this week...actually, I missed the whole show. But I would have known the answer! And I think it's hard for celebrities not to sound awful when they yammer on about themselves. I'm not feeling bad for them, just saying :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katherine Heigl is actually the reason why I stopped watching Grey's for a long time. I can't stand the women and let's be honest, if she wan't pretty, she wouldn't be working.
    The coffin is just kind've creepy. But defiantly more environmentally friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Wait, Wait limerick definitely had me prick up my ears this week! It looks kind of nice, actually... although I've never really considered coffins before.

    ReplyDelete