Sunday, January 29, 2012

Knitting needles = delicious, apparently

You might want to sit down, because I'm about to blow your mind: dogs often like to chew on sticks. Second revelation: knitting needles are kinda like sticks. Especially the bamboo variety.

Again???

For reals, this is not even close to the first time this has happened. And I always just replace them. I've considered buying dpns in bulk. My favorite needle material is bamboo, but I've slowly been phasing out my bamboo circulars and substituting metal. Addi Turbos are OK, I guess. But this time, I really didn't feel like making a special trip to the local yarn shop just so I could continue my project (which ironically was a dog sweater). 

So I chopped off the maimed region with a small handsaw.  



Now to sharpen. I often fantasize about having a garage stocked with all the tools a person could need, but since we live in a condo it remains a dream.  I'm not equipped with a full selection of metal files of various cuts (YET), so I used the one that comes on nail clippers.  Classy. Slowly but surely, it got the job done.


He ended up quite a bit smaller than his brother, though.


But it's not all about the length, it's how you use what you've got that counts, right?

8 comments:

  1. You are quite resourceful! I'm sorry that you keep loosing needles to the dog though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the irony that it happened while you were knitting the offender a sweater! :D Well done on resourcefulness, I never would have thought of filing it, I would've gone for pencil sharpener :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that's a good idea. I'm more of a metal needle fan, though, so I've never had that problem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL excellent. At least he didn't chew the yarn ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, oh the puppy monsters are known to do such things from time to time. I definitely use a pencil sharpener and sandpaper on my bamboos when they get dull. Job well done salvaging your needles!

    ReplyDelete